The Schooner ‘Emma’

Written by S. Ablott
First Published
Code flag - VictorCode flag - QuebecCode flag - DeltaCode flag - Bravo


Emma was a two masted schooner of 134 tons and 95 and a half feet long, launched on the 18th of August 1863. She was the first ship built at the Stather yard which became the property of James Fisher of Barrow in Furness, he acquired eight ships from Wray's yard in total.

Fisher's Ships

James Fisher house flag

James Fisher & Sons of Barrow in Furness once owned the largest fleet of coasters in Great Britain. Founded in 1847 for transporting haematite from the Cumbrian hills. The company still exists to this day. Eight of the ships were built by John Wray & Son at Burton Stather, they are as follows:-

James Fisher
James Fisher, Mayor of Barrow
  1. Emma - Schooner, August 1863
  2. Morecambe Belle - Schooner, March 1864
  3. Squire - Brig, April 1864
  4. Doctor - Brig, May 1864
  5. Agnes Porter - Schooner, November 1864
  6. Eleventh Lancashire - Brig, February 1865
  7. Sea King - Barque, September 1866
  8. Lizzy - Barque, January 1868

The Final Voyage

She left her home port of Barrow on the 13th of October 1880 for Rotterdam under the command of Captain T Hunter with a crew of five and a cargo of pig iron. However the ship never arrived in Holland and was thought to have foundered in a storm.

Vessel Details for Emma

Official Number:47791
Code Flags:VQDBCode flag - VictorCode flag - QuebecCode flag - DeltaCode flag - Bravo
Vessel Name:Emma
  • Hannay and Schneider
  • J Fisher of Barrow
  • R Twist 1868
  • Huddlestone 1870
  • H Evans 1874
  • T Hunter 1877
  • Lancaster
  • Barrow
Construction:Iron bolts. Damage repairs 1868, some repairs 1874.
Trade:Stockton coaster.
Fate:Left Barrow 13th Oct 1880 for Rotterdam, missing with 6 lives.

Last updated

© 2024 Burton upon Stather Heritage Group

Creative Commons. Background Photograph by Bruno Girin. Used with modifications under license.