William Maskill was a 76 foot schooner built at Burton Stather and launched early in 1858.
She belonged to William Holdsworth and William Maskill and was registered in the port of Goole.
William Maskill was a ships carpenter, the son of a shoemaker from howden.
William Holdsworth would captain the ship.
She was described in the Lloyds Register as a Goole Coaster. Records show she visited ports mainly on the east and south of England. She carried various cargos such as coal, bricks, stone, oilcake and flour. From Goole she sailed north to Sunderland and Shields; and south to London and Portsmouth and Plymouth. She also crossed over to the continent, visiting ports such as Dunkirk and Ghent.
After 26 years of service the schooner was rebuilt in 1884 at Goole, after being retained as unseaworthy. After that she belonged to and was captained by John Fowler of Goole. In 1887 she was sold to John T Chester of New Field, Goole, owner until 1889.
Old Harry Rocks
In the March of 1889 the schooner was on a voyage from Jersey bound for Southampton.
She had a cargo of 75 tons of gravel and 200 barrels of tar.
On the 7th she was driven ashore by a gale, going aground on the shelf of Old Harry Rocks at Studland, near Swanage.
The crew of four were all saved by the lifeboat
Charlotte Mary in the last service launch of the first Swanage lifeboat.
The vessel was feared to be a total wreck, however she was later refloated.
The wreck was bought by Messrs Burt and Burt of Swanage.
On Saturday the 16th they removed all of the cargo;
on Sunday afternoon she was refloated and brought to Poole Quay.
The William Maskill then disappears from the MNL for a few years, reappearing in 1899, registered as a hulk at Cowes in the Isle of Wight. The owner is Marther Read of Town Quay, Cowes. Here she remains until 1916, when the register for the William Maskill is closed.
Map showing the approximate location where the vessel was thought to have been lost, or the last known position.