This was the second fishing smack named
Ruby owned by Hull smack owner Henry Maddick.
The first he skippered and used in a daring rescue of the crew of Ipswich brigantine
Ganymede in 1863, for which he was awarded a silver medal.
This Ruby was built at Wray's yard on Burton Stather in 1876, her fishing number was H1032.
He also skippered this vessel in the early days, but later employed skippers as he owned a number of fishing smacks.
Maddick also owned the smacks
Diamond H1191 and
Adventure, built by Wray & Son.
The Sinking of The Ruby
On the 22nd of December 1884 around 6am, The Ruby was returning to Hull Docks on the flood tide of The Humber, the skipper was William Henry Taylor.
The Wilson Liner
of Hull was lying at anchor in Hull Roads having arrived from Christiania a few hours earlier.
The Ruby attempted to anchor, but with The Humber in full flow, the anchor would not hold, causing them to drift up river and across the bows of The Hero.
The collision parted the cable of the steamer, causing them also to drift, and cut the smacks' hull below the waterline. The two vessels drifted together up river for a considerable distance, with the smack sinking. The crew of The Ruby managed to get into their boat, and the smack sunk near Pope & Pearson's coal drop, to the west of Albert Dock, near St Andrews Dock. The crew were taken on board the steamer, which sustained only slight damage, and landed safely in Hull.
The wreck was removed on the 22nd of April 1885, as it had caused an obstruction to shipping, being close to the coal drop and dock entrance.
Map showing the approximate location where the vessel was thought to have been lost, or the last known position.
Vessel Details for Ruby
- The Mercantile Navy Lists.
- The Nautical Magazine and Naval Chronicle for 1863.
- Hull History Centre.
- Hull Packet.