Frank Coulthurst died on the 6th of September 1916, just a few days short of his 21st birthday (10th September) Frank and Temple Coulthurst, also named on our war memorial, were cousins.
Frank was the son of James and Mary Ann Coulthurst, of West Halton, Scunthorpe, Lincs. Frank's father James was born in Rutland at Stocken Hall where his father (also James) was Gamekeeper. Looking on the Census of 1861 and noting the birth places of the other children it appears the family came to the area in or around 1854. Frank's Grandfather James becoming a Gamekeeper likely to the Sheffield Estate as the family were living in Normanby.
Born in Flixborough, Lincolnshire on September 10th 1895 we next find Frank aged 5 on the 1901 Census living in West Halton at the Manor House, his father as Farm Manager. George, his cousin Temple's father, also appears on this Census at the Manor House.
De Aston School
De Astonian Magazine
Frank Coulthurst, who was at De Aston from April 1907 until Midsummer 1911, was, we regret to state, killed in France by the explosion of a mine on September 6th of this year. He was in the London Scottish Regiment. We sympathise greatly with his parents and his brother, who was at school here with him. We are glad to be able to publish a photograph of him in uniform. F. Coulthurst was within a few days of his 21st birthday when he yielded his life for his country.
Christmas 1916 - Page 99
The London Division
The London Division was formed in 1908 regimenting the 26 volunteer forces in the new County of London. Swelling to 88 Battalions during World War 1, it was reformed in 1916 to the 56th (1st London) Division. Each Battalion had a distinctive uniform as can be seen in the photograph of Frank Coulthurst found on the Market Rasen De Aston School Roll of Honour.
Frank's Unit were possibly already on Summer Camp when they were called to mobilise in August 1914. His war details can not be found so we have no specifics about him except we know he lost his life 6th September 1916 by an explosion of a mine (see De Aston School Roll of Honour) three days before his Division were engaged in The Battle of Ginchy (9th September 1916) a phase of the Battle of the Somme 1916.
Ceasing to exist in 1938 The London Division was reformed in 1992 with a HQ and 4 Rifle Companies. Frank surely would have been proud had he survived to know that on reforming A Company became The London Scottish. There have been a number of changes since then and much more can be found online for anyone interested.
St. Ethelreda, West Halton
Frank is remembered on his parents grave in the churchyard and in the dedication of the stained glass window.
Dedication of the window
This window is dedicated to the glory of God and in memory of James Coulthurst who died in 1914 and his wife Mary Ann who died in 1915, also Frank, their son, killed in France 1916. Erected by their remaining son and daughter.
St. Ethelreda Church, West Halton
Any further information would be gratefully received please Email FTAO Karen.
Record Details for Frank Coulthurst
|Family Info:||Son of James and Mary Ann Coulthurst, of West Halton, Scunthorpe, N Lincs|
|Regiment:||London Regiment (London Scottish)|
|Grave:||MAROEUIL BRITISH CEMETERY - III. E. 15.|
|Place of Death:||France|
Use the interactive map to view the location of Frank Coulthurst's Grave. You can view all the graves, memorials and benches by downloading our KML file which can be viewed in Google Earth and other mapping software.
Remembered with Honour.